Blog Journal #3

 Hi everyone!

    In my opinion, when it comes to dealing with copyright and fair use, especially as a teacher, you must provide your students with strict rules and consequences if they do not abide to using their own original work. Consequences can include talking to their parents, grade reductions, meetings with the principal, etc. I think students working in groups is a great idea for them to share what they know and brainstorm new concepts, but sometimes when it comes to assignments, students will write word for word what their partner submits. As a teacher, I would have students share their ideas out loud with one another, but have them submit their work independently so it is in their own words. 

    One technology issue includes cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is defined as individuals using digital platforms to bully others. This form of bullying can include harassment, intimidation, or possibly even threats. In my future classroom, a way to abolish cyberbullying would be to have restrictions on what my students can use on the internet. Websites such as youtube, social media sites, etc, will be blocked by the school computers in my classroom. By doing this, students will have limited access to websites that may cause cyberbullying. 

    The use of generative AI in classrooms can be quite beneficial at times if used to an extent. For example, in a classroom setting AI could be able to grade assignments. In my opinion, I would only allow AI to grade multiple choice since it is easy to understand what letter choice is correct: A, B, C, or D. For written response questions, I would leave those for my self to grade as a students response can be correct but not the same as the answer keys response. At times, I feel like AI can negatively impact student learning by giving student answers without them learning anything. It causes students to be reliant on AI and then will not prepare them for tests. With proper guidelines and restrictions, AI can be a great tool if used responsibly. 

    I really enjoyed the newsletter assignment! While it did take me time and effort, it allowed me to get creative and show myself what I am capable of. At times, I often find myself going back to the assignment and looking at the newsletter because I think mine looks super good. New skills I acquired include using Canva to create a banner, using text boxes, and figuring out how to space correctly. I have a younger brother in 3rd grade and he always brings home newsletters from his teacher, so I know as a future teacher I will definitely be sending my students home with one. They are a great way for parents to stay in the loop on what their child is doing at school. Overall, the newsletter was a great assignment that taught me useful technology skills that I will use in the future!






"CYBERBULLYING" by iPredator is marked with CC0 1.0.








Comments

  1. I'm glad the newsletter assignment is helpful for you! Setting strict rules and consequences might be a good way to deal with copyright and fair use. But please ensure that as a teacher, we have the responsibility to teach students what intellectual property and copyright are and how can we fairly use the copyrighted work. Utilizing AI to grade multiple choice questions is a good idea. Overdependence is definitely a problem for students on using AI technologies. You mentioned "With proper guidelines and restrictions, AI can be a great tool if used responsibly", what kind of guidelines you would want to give to your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree on your take for AI in the classroom! While it may have some benefits it can be difficult to balance the cheating aspect with students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #2