Blog Journal #2

 Hi everyone! 

    Throughout my K-12 years, I did not use Microsoft Word too much. We relied on Google Classroom to submit our work which we completed on Google Docs. My K-12 experience consisted on using Google everything. This includes the two I just mentioned, Google Slides, Google Sheets, and Google Forms. At Florida State University, I was able to use Microsoft Word a lot especially for my freshman English class. Later on for my education courses and human development, my teachers also required us to use MS. Another great program on MS is PowerPoint. I am currently in the process of a group presentation where we are using PowerPoint to present our topic in my Teaching Diversity course. This allows for an easy and organized presentation, as my group and I are able to work on the slides separately as long as the creator shared everything. Overall, my experience with MS has allowed me to complete schoolwork while staying organized!

    The ISTE Standards for Educators are a framework for rethinking educators and empowering learners. They encourage educators to be continuous learners, leaders in the digital age, and responsible digital citizens. They include Learner, Leader, Citizen, Collaborator, Designer, Facilitator, and Analyst. While it may be the popular answer, I think the most meaningful ISTE Standard is Learner. It is relevant because it notices that educators are also learners themselves. They will continue to strengthen their practices and explore new ones for their students. I have not learned anything new about it, but I am interested in doing so!

    In my opinion, the term "digital native" is neutral in defining today's youth. It seems like it would oversimplify how today's youth is when it comes to technology. A digital native defines the current youth and their relationship with technology. Everyone is different when it comes to using technology, even youth compared to youth. I feel like using one term to describe the youth will not describe everyone. I have noticed in class, teachers (digital immigrants) can struggle with technology while students help them by telling them what to press. For example, one of my teachers the other day had trouble presenting a PowerPoint to the class, so students in class told the teacher where to press in order to present. The same thing goes for future teachers and future students. Future students will be born into new and advanced technology, while future teachers will have to learn it. I believe future students are going to assist future teachers in advanced technology in the future. 

Comments

  1. Hey, Emma! I also had similar experiences with technology in K-12, mostly relying on Google Docs to write papers and then switching over to Microsoft Word in college. I also agree that teachers are learners and should continue learning more about their craft. I think this is important for nearly all professions, as there is constantly more to learn and new strategies or ideas that can be implemented. I agree that the term "digital native" cannot be applied generally to an entire generation, as some students have more knowledge of technology than others. Great post, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma! I also had a similar experience that you did. My school introduced our school emails, google classroom, and other google apps when I was in sixth grade. I had used google classroom and google docs consistently in middle school and half of high school until I moved to Florida. Microsoft took a minute to get used to but I agree that it's a great organizational tool. I love that microsoft word has the editor section so I can fix my grammar/other mistakes. I also agree that the term digital native is broad and wouldn't be able to apply to everyone. The youth today can be generally considered "digital natives" but as time goes on, we won't be used to the new technology that's introduced and then we wouldn't be considered "digital native" anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #3